I know there is still quite a bit of summer left but I am already super excited for fall. To me, fall means apple season. I love everything apple related – fresh apples, warm apple cider, apple crisp, apple pie fudge, caramel stuffed apple cider cookies, apple smoothies (all things I’ve made before in my crazy apple obsession) and especially, apple pie. I love the crisp, sweet, and slightly sour flavor from the apples combined with warm cinnamon and a perfect flaky crust. This overnight oats recipe combines the best aspects of apple pie into a healthy, filling breakfast.
I love the variety of textures present in this dish. The creamy oatmeal and yogurt base complements the crisp apples and crunchy almond topping perfectly. Plus, this recipe is super easy. There is no need to cook the oats; just combine the ingredients, let them sit overnight, top with some almonds in the morning, and enjoy! It’s a great dish to enjoy with a lazy sunrise or as you rush out the door to work.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla soy yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 small apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash cardamon
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Place oats, milk, yogurt, applesauce, apple, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamon in a medium container with a lid. Stir. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir the mixture again. Sprinkle almonds over the top.