Overnight oats are the best way to eat oatmeal in the summer. Actually, they might be the best way to eat oats, period. They are super easy to make and always delicious. Since all the prep work is done the night before, when I don’t feel like a sleepy zombie, I’m more likely to be creative and make healthier choices than when I make breakfast in the morning.
This overnight oats recipe tastes just like banana bread to me. Obviously because of the mashed banana but also because of the nuts, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon. I also like the texture that the oat bran gives the oats. It makes it a little bit thicker and gives it a consistency closer to bread. However, you could replace the oat bran with wheat bran or, if you don’t have either, you could skip it too. You could also skip or reduce the amount of maple syrup if you want the recipe lower in sugar since the bananas make this recipe pretty sweet already.
This is one of my favorite overnight oats recipes that I’ve made! Let me know if you try it out, I’d love to know what you think!
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons oat bran
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup, optional
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash cinnamon
- Banana slices, nuts, cinnamon, almond butter, raisins, cacao nibs, for topping, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small container with a lid and stir. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir again, top with banana slices, additional nuts, cinnamon, almond butter, raisins, or cacao nibs if desired, and enjoy.