Wow. It’s cold outside. This morning it’s -10°F but feels like -20°F with the wind. That plus the cold I’ve had for about a week makes me want a huge bowl of hot soup. This soup is the vegan version of classic chicken noodle soup but with chickpeas instead of chicken for a similar protein boost. It’s is really easy to make, which is perfect because the last thing I want to do when I’m sick is stand in the kitchen for hours making soup.
I’ve been on a chickpea kick for a couple of weeks, putting them in everything I can get my hands on. This was my favorite dinner last week and I’ve been having them for dessert too. However, this soup could be made with almost any type of bean. If you have some extra time or already have some made, this soup would be amazing with homemade vegetable broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 piece celery, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 ounces fettuccine or similar flat pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer according to package directions until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cook until warm. Season with salt and pepper as desired.