This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Oh She Glows Cookbook. When I first made the Present Glo Bar recipe from the book I was amazed. They were the best granola bars I’ve ever made. They were delicious, chewy, and actually stayed together, regardless of whether they were straight from the fridge or room temperature. They are actually pretty similar to granola bars that you would find in the grocery store except without all the weird additives.
These bars aren’t as easy as other granola bar recipes that I’ve posted that are pretty much stir and go but the extra time and use of the stove is definitely worth it. It’s what helps these bars achieve the perfect chewy texture while still sticking together.
These bars are really easy to adapt to what you have on hand as well. I chose raisins for these bars because they have just the right amount of sweetness and pair really well with the pecans and cinnamon. However, you could use almost any dried fruit you have around and almost any type of nut in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup rice crisp cereal
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease a square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, rice crisp cereal, pecans, hemp seeds, chia seeds, raisins, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the brown rice syrup and almond butter until combined. Cook over medium heat until soft and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and stir until coated.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Either wet hands or use a piece of parchment paper to press down mixture as firmly as possible.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes until firm. Slice into 10 bars. Wrap in plastic or foil and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.