Oatmeal has definitely become my favorite breakfast. I love the classic method for making oatmeal, but I also love oats in overnight oats, granola, breakfast cookies, and granola bars. I have a new one to add to that list today – baked oatmeal.
My favorite way to enjoy these oats is with a little almond butter spread on top and a splash of non-dairy milk. This is a great dish to make for a weekend breakfast when you might have a little more time to let the oats cook. This dish also makes excellent leftovers so it can be made ahead of time to provide a whole week’s worth of breakfasts. You can even freeze single serving size pieces and microwave them straight from the freezer.
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries, plus a few extra for topping*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 8 x 8 square baking pan. Combine ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons warm water in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and seeds from vanilla bean (if you’re using vanilla extract, add it to the wet ingredients).
- Add the almond milk, maple syrup, and oil to the flaxseed mixture and whisk to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and stir. Fold in the strawberries.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking dish and top with additional strawberries. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Let cool a little before serving.
- This oatmeal can be served warm or cold. Non-dairy milk, jam, maple syrup, and nut
buttersare excellent toppings.