This recipe started off as an idea that failed on me a couple weeks ago. The first time around I boiled the sweet potatoes to make them soft enough to grate but they absorbed too much water and the tater tots ended up soggy. I’m glad I didn’t give up on this recipe though because these tater tots are amazing. This time, I just popped them in the microwave to soften them up, which was easier and ended up working really well.
This recipe is pretty easy if you’ve got a food processor. These tater tots actually gave me a chance to use the grater on my food processor for the first time. It was pretty fun and I would definitely recommend giving it a shot (here’s how).
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- about 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Puncture the sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Microwave for 3 minutes. They should be cooked to the point where you can just put a fork through it but it is still too tough to eat.
- Grate the potatoes and place in a bowl. Stir in salt and pepper. Form the mixture into balls or small cylinders (the smaller you make them, the crispier they will be).
- Place tater tots on a baking sheet. Spray or drizzle olive oil over top and roll the tater tots around until coated. Cook for about 30 minutes stirring and flipping occasionally until golden brown and crisp on the outside.