I’m in love with this baked broccoli mac and cheese recipe. It’s got a creamy, cheesy inside with a nice crunchy breadcrumb topping. It also has by favorite vegetable, broccoli, mixed right in. In addition, it’s a breeze to make. The pasta and broccoli are cooked in the same pot of water and all that’s needed for the sauce is a quick spin in the blender.
There are a couple ways this recipe could be adapted if needed. If broccoli isn’t your thing, you could switch out the broccoli for the same amount of a similar vegetable. Also, if you want to make this recipe gluten free, just use gluten free pasta and breadcrumbs.
I hope you give this recipe a try! If you do, I’d love to hear about it in the comments section.
- 6 ounces whole wheat elbow pasta
- 6 ounces broccoli florets (about 2 small heads)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours and drained
- 1/4 cup cooked white beans
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8x8 baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package directions but undercook by 2 minutes and add broccoli when 2 minutes is remaining. Drain and set aside.
- In a blender, add cashews, beans, nutritional yeast, miso, lemon juice, paprika, turmeric, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and 1/2 cup water and blend until smooth. Stir into pasta and broccoli.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 12 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the breadcrumbs.